Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Boxes & Baskets


My friend Sandra was telling me all about a workshop she would be attending with Bonnie Hunter using old shirts last week which reminded me I had quite few striped ones I had been collecting ready to use for the shirt stripe boxes quilt by Kaffe Fassett from his Passionate Patchwork book.

This inspired me to sort out what I had with some hindrance help from Lucy (she was getting ready to pounce in this 2nd photo!)


After much cutting, which was really easy with the Companion angle triangle ruler, a lot of  chain piecing took place.

Eventually quite a few shirt box squares were ready for the fun part of laying them out to form 18" blocks

1st block done


.........and a 2nd one added. This is going to be my ongoing machine project when I need a break from hand stitching to give my poor fingers a rest when they get sore (I just can't use thimbles)

BASKET PROGRESS

These little baskets are still being appliqued and 'quilted as you go'


The next batch ready to have sashings attached and made into rows


2 more rows ready to join to the main piece


This quilt is growing to be a bit of a big one, over the half way mark now......yeah!

Till next time, thanks for stopping by :)

5 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh! Cool projects going on here. Caught my eye.

Sandra Henderson said...

Oh wow!~ I love what you are doing with your shirtings!~ Such a neat looking blanket Gisele.
The basket quilts are coming along nicely. THis is going to be such a beautiful quilt when you finish. It's beautiful NOW!~ amazing!~

Cathi said...

I love what you're doing with the striped shirts! That is going to be an absolutely fabulous quilt.
Those little baskets are so adorable. Can't wait to see more.

Shirley said...

Fabulous machine stitching with the stripes and they match up so beautifully. I am amazed at how much you have done with the baskets. It is almost there. Love it.

jude said...

i love the boxes.