Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mini Quilts


11.5" x 13.5"
(This one is all crinkly as it's been washed)


As you all know I have always favored hand piecing, especially English paper piecing but I've recently challenged myself to love my machine more and have been making a few mini quilts. 



Thus I have learnt to make a 4.5" maple leaf block, half & quarter square triangles, log cabin piecing and setting triangles.........all by machine! (are you impressed?)


19" x 19"
Looking at this picture now it would have been better with colored logs all round 

These mini quilts are also great for practicing hand quilting & I've been having great fun playing around with border designs etc.
the back shows the quilting better
maple leaf in the corners
the next one waiting to be completed

I'm also still plugging away at the baskets, well, that is when Lucy allows me to get to my supplies.........


and when she does move, she monitors to ensure they are still being made properly!


Thanks to kind donations of lovely scraps from my friends Kim & Sandra, so far, not one fabric for the baskets has been repeated

Spoilt with lots of luscious reds 

beautiful blues

and pinks too!


I picked out a few of my favs, I love that pink one with the green leaves in the middle, thank you so much for these Sandra : )...................aren't quilting friends just great?

Baskets made with Kim's fabrics
I'm really on the home run with these now, only 16 more baskets to applique and add the sashing to make the last 4 rows, then all that needs to be done is the binding to complete the quilt. 

Until next time, happy quilting : )

4 comments:

Deb said...

Oh what a fun blog just found you through Small Talk. Love your Mini Leaf quilt great work! love your baskets too, I have started on this quest as well!! LOLthanks for posting your blog so that I can follow.

you also have a gorgeous kitty! Gisele

Cathi said...

Lucy is so beautiful!
I love your baskets -- can't wait to see the finished quilt. It is going to be fabulous. I'm so intrigued by those baskets. I think I've got to find that pattern!

Shirley said...

Love your little mini's. It is all a learning curve and I always think that we can learn from each quilt we make on how we would do it differently if it were to be made again. Maybe Lucy was a quilter in a past life!! I am coveting that pink leaf fabric. Can't wait to see the basket quilt finished.

Sandra Henderson said...

Hello Gisele. I am glad that you caught quiltcam yesterday over at Bonnie's. :) I was out and about, gorgeous weather here.
I LOVE the Maple Leaf quilt! SOOOOooo pretty! What a great idea, they are all beautiful. I sure do love my little quilt that you made for me. It is in my kitchen, next to one the got from Cathi at the Alzheimer's Auction. You are so talented.
You have inspired me to make some Maple Leaf Placemats here today. Fall is here and we are LOVING it.
Your baskets are so pretty and I am so happy that you like your fabrics. I have been meaning to send more, but have been busy as of late. I plan to get a few more off to you tomorrow. That is the plan anyways.